On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 8:57 AM,  <bigsk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a typical or standard monitor resolution a web site should be
> designed for?
>
> The problem I'm having is that when I make a web page the pictures are
> in a different position as viewed from various computers.
>
> Any ideas?

There is no standard. Monitor resolution also does not give you any
clue about DPI settings, user font size, window size, zoom level, etc.
There a million philosophies about web design and the only answer is
for you to do what you think is best for your site...

At home I have 2048x1152 monitor on primary computer, 1200x1600 on
secondary (yes, portrait orientation), my phone has 800x480
(landscape), my wife's phone has 240x320 (portrait), my grandpa is
using 800x600 on a 19inch monitor... you can imagine websites look
very different depending on which computer I use.

You can use something like Google Analytics to see what your customers
are using (assuming they have Javascript enabled...).