I'm working on an image that has many layers, including one for outlines, fill
colors, shading, etc. I want to cut and paste a particular portion of the
image to another part of the image because I don't like the current placement.
However, the only way I can figure out to do this is by cutting and pasting
the same selection on each layer and lining up all the parts.

Is there any way to cut "through" the image, so to speak, so that all visible
layers below the selection are cut at once, and then when I paste the
selection somewhere else in the image, each part is pasted into its respective
layer (i.e., the outline is pasted onto the outline layer, shading onto the
shading layer, etc.)?

Or is there any type of script available that might help me achieve this?

Brian (via www.gimpusers.com)