I'd do the same procedure, but change one of the steps.

1. Cut your person in half.  Keep the selection active.

2. Edit>Copy, then Edit>paste as new (to keep your original preserved.

3. Close the original so as not to do anything "unexpected" with it.

4. In the newly created canvase, duplicate the copied layer, but don't flip it
just yet.

5. Now make your canvas 200% bigger in the width (you will need to "break" the
little chain icon to the right of the size inputs to do this.  Also, choose
percent, rather than pixels -- this is in the Image>Canvas Size menu).

6.  On your copied, flipped layer, Do layer>Layer to image size.

7. Do Layer,>Transform>Flip horizontal.

8. Right click on the layer in the layers dialog and pick  Merge down.

With this method, you don't have to try to move the flipped layer to match it
up with the unflipped one.  You can also use this method, with one extra flip
before enlarging the canvas, to make nifty CSS rollover buttons.