Quoting Helen <etter...@gmail.com>:

> In order to create a gimp brush, I created a file, drew the design, did
> select all > copy > paste as > new brush.
At this point, there are two possibilities for how the created brush
will behave: 1) it will either be a "fixed-color" brush which can
consist of millions of different colors, but the colors can not be
changed; or 2) it will be a single-color brush which uses the active
FG color.

The second type of brush will only be created if your source image is
in GRAYSCALE mode and has no alpha channel. If these two conditions
are true then any black pixels in the brush will paint in the active
FG color, while white pixels will be "painted transparently" (i.e.,
not painted). More precisely, darker shades of gray are painted using
the FG color with increasing opacity level.

The first type of brush will use exactly the color and opacity of the
original image while painting.

> The brush only paints white (my fg color when I created the file).
> I've tried creating the file in RGB and have tried Grayscale.
> Can you advise me how to edit this brush to make it take on
> the foreground colour?

Your statement suggests that you created your brush by putting white
pixels on a transparent layer (ie., one with an alpha channel). The
existence of the alpha channel causes your brush to be of the "fixed
color" type. What you want to do:

. "Colors->Invert" -- change the white pixels to black
. Set BG color to white
. "Layer->Transparency->Remove Alpha Channel" -- change the
transparent pixels to white
. "Image->Mode->Grayscale"

Of course, none of this is necessary if you start out editing your
brush with a black FG and white BG on a flattened image.

After you have created your design in this manner, your process of
"select all > copy > paste as > new brush" should produce the result
you desire.