On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 8:27 PM, Dick Smith <dsmit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> However, if the $140 printer won't print on linux, then there is lttle to be
> gained by purchasing one.

I always check for proper Linux support first. There are very few HP
printers that aren't perfectly supported under Linux. My Color
LaserJet 2840 does everything in Linux flawlessly, from printing to
faxing to scanning and even remote-initiated copies (wtf is the point
of that, anyways?), all over the network. I couldn't even get it to do
those things reliably under Windows.

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 7:45 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.hesk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> And if you ever have shootout comparing that HP to the others, from my
> experience an Epson ink squirter will be the last man standing.  An old 4
> color C82 made prints of weddings good enough to sell, with closer color
> matching than the so called pro who farms his stuff out to the "custom lab"
> in his local CVS.  HP's red dye is way too orange to suit me.  That's how
> they get the brightness, yes, but that isn't a true red no matter how much
> ink you soak the paper with.  Sadly, the C82 finally burned out its head, so
> there is now an NX515 sitting here, but I need to do a bit of fine tuning,
> the drivers are a bit old too.

That's interesting! I've been doing tons more photography lately, and
Gimp has become a much more useful tool as a result. I'm definitely
looking for something with good colour fidelity, so I'll have to check
out the options. It's just hard to beat HP's Linux support. Even the
printers they don't officially support (of which there are few) tend
to work flawlessly anyways. I've been burned in this department before
with cheap Lexmark printers.

--
Frank Gore
Project Manager