John,

If you want to resize the background layer without affecting other
layers, I think you won't find a software package that does that. To
resize all layers, though:

Image -> Scale image

To resize only the background, the best you can do, I think is to
paste background layer in another image, and use the option above to
scale that. Then paste it back into the original image, and remove the
original background layer (if you don't need it anymore).

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 11:18 PM, Chris Mohler <cr33...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 4:13 PM, Ma, John (CS - CIS) <john...@saskatoon.ca>
>>wrote:
>>Hi Chris,
>
>>By looking at your documentation, I found how to resize an image as below,
>>but still looking for the feature hot to resize the >background (the
>>underneath layer).  If you know how, please let me know.
>
> Have you tried Image->Canvas Size?
>
> If you're new to image editing, you should probably search around for
> GIMP tutorials.  The manual is a must-read as well.
>
> Chris

Branko Vukelić

Check out my blog: http://www.brankovukelic.com/
Check out my portfolio: http://www.flickr.com/photos/foxbunny/