On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 4:36 PM, Claus Cyrny <claus.cy...@web.de> wrote:
> I need to provide a business card as PSD/
> CMYK: Web Coated (SWOP) V2. How do I
> go about there in Gimp 2.6.7 (Ubuntu 9.10)?
> I designed the card initially in Inkscape &
> will import it into Gimp as a PNG. This is
> actually the first time I am using a color profile,
> so any tips would be appreciated.

If the printer will accept PDF, I would design in Scribus and check
the color management tab when exporting the PDF.  Change the 'Output
intended for' to 'Printer' and it will save a CMYK PDF.  Don't mess
with the checkboxes.

If you have images to into Scribus, you can convert them to CMYK using
imagemagick beforehand.

Or if the PSD is flat[0], you might consider just converting that to
CMYK (via imagemagick) as an alternate solution.

Also - be sure you have the package 'icc-profiles' installed through
apt.  Oops - I just reread, and you are going to have to download the
SWOP profile from Adobe's web site (get the windows version):
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3680

You need to extract them to "$prefix/share/Scribus/profiles" as described here:
http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&page=cms2

Although I'm not 100% sure how to make sure that the SWOP profile is
specified/embedded.  I'm going to play around with it a little - if I
find anything out, I'll post back.

HTH,
Chris

[0] - the last time I tried to use imagemagick on a layered PSD I ran
into problems, but it's been quite some time.