Hi all.

I'm trying to edit an jpg image I've downloaded from the net.
This image:

As you can see, the image has a white background.

I want to isolate one of the illustrations and remove the white background.

First I use the scalpal tool to isolate one of the illustrations. Then I use
either the select tool or the erasor to remove the white. Instead of getting
transparent area as a result, I get a grey.
(What is happening here)

To get around this, I first save the image as a png, then give the image a
background layer with a random colour, save the image as an xcf and close the
image. Then I open the xcf.
Again, I try to erase the white in order to get a transparent area. Again, I
get an grey as a result.

Obviously, I'm running into the boundaries of my understanding of image
formats here.

I'd love to know why I'm getting these results.

I'd also like to know how I can remove the white area and get transaparency
without closing and re-opening the image.

bob (via www.gimpusers.com)