> Sure, I'm just saying I can't use GIMP's gradients. I have to use the
> ones in Inkscape. :)

BTW- Inkscape can use gimp gradients (they are the same format).

Back to the main question, the process for stroking any selection is
to convert it to a path, then stroke that.

It gives results that are always better.

I tried scripting it, but couldn't figure out how to open the stroke
path dialog (or advanced stroke path dialog) from a script.

It would be nice if gimps stroke selection did that internally rather
than thresholding the selection and "stroking" along that.

-Rob A.