That's the conclusion I came to as well.  I am still figuring out how to do
raw CR2 files, but the script below does handle multi-page TIFFs just fine.
 It's a PowerShell (Windows) wrapper around ImageMagick.  Not elegant, and
the formatting on blogger kinda sucks (I'll fix that someday), but here it

magick all happens with this single command:

   - convert image[0].tif image.xcf