> Also I was really surprised that an auto backup isn't in GIMP already. I used
> to use a really old, backwoods photo editor and it automatically made a backup
> file and autosaved it every ten minutes.

What you really need for your case is not an auto-backup feature, but
atomic save operations. Instead of writing over the existing file when
you save, GIMP should write to a temporary file in the target directory.
And only if it succeeds in writing this file completely should it move
the temporary file over the existing file. That way you wouldn't have
lost your file completely.

Please feel free to open a bug report for this.