On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 7:34 PM, Sven Neumann <s...@gimp.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-06-20 at 03:26 +0200, Branko Vukelic wrote:
>> On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 8:52 PM, Jade <for...@gimpusers.com> wrote:
>> > I'm running the latest Ubuntu and it's probably more of a hardware issue
>> > than
>> > a software. When I say "Gimp crashed," I mean that it froze up and then
>> > exited. I don't know what happened besides that. I have a super old
>> > computer
>> > with three quarters of a gig of ram and it probably was having a hard time
>> > processing such a big image and shut it down. I don't really know. I was
>> > working with a 3000 x 3000 image with several layers; it was probably too
>> > much
>> > for the PC to handle, not Gimp. The file's gone, either way. :(
>> Ooh, that _is_ a big image. What you can do is repartition the hard
>> drive to give Linux more swap space. It probably ate up all the swap
>> space and killed itself. Even with the large swap space (say 4 or even
>> 8 G) it will be super-slow (RAM is always faster, obviously), but at
>> least it won't die easily.
> 3000x3000 is not that large. How much RAM do you have and how is the
> tile-cache size configured in GIMP?

I guess it might be on an older machine OP mentioned.

As for myself, I've got 2G RAM, and 1G swap space (big mistake, I
know) on a 64-bit linux. I sometimes run out оf memory/swap on a image
that is like a little smaller than 3000x3000 when I have more than 20
layers and couple of hours of work on it. Tile cache is at 1024M.

Branko Vukelić

Check out my blog: http://www.brankovukelic.com/
Check out my portfolio: http://www.flickr.com/photos/foxbunny/
Registered Linux user #438078 (http://counter.li.org/)