On Sunday 17 January 2010 15:54:20 Robert L Cochran wrote:
> My suggestion is to use Gimp for what you need, and work with
a higher
> end camera that produces raw format images. Get Akkana
Peck's book and
> start with that. Post emails to this list when you need some
help. It
> also doesn't hurt to have a website where you can post your
photos to.

> I take technical photos (as a not very good amateur!) and edit
them in
> the Gimp. I feel no need for Photoshop. The choice of either
software
> title is really a personal preference.
>
> I myself have not seen a photographer using film in quite some
time.
> They all seem to be digital now. For example, the photographer
for my
> daughter's wedding is a professional and he used a Nikon
digital.

> > * GIMP: May be used for 'serious' work if that means showing
a photo
> > on a web page.  Otherwise forget it because:
> >
> >    ** Is has no color management (I don't know what this is);
> >    ** Just 8 bit/channel;
> >    ** No CMYK.
> >
> > Even though answers on this list may be biased, I have to ear
them.
> > So, are this statements true?
> >
> > TIA!

Can't let this one go by. Those of us who work with print books
have been asking for CMYK output from Gimp for many years.
Scribus, a much newer product, already has it, along with ICC
profiles and pdf x/1-a output and so on. Krita, a not very well-
known drawing program that is part of KDE,  has had CMYK color
model for years.

The developers of Gimp have never given the needs of print media
a high priority. As a result most people in the world of print media
don't use Gimp. The usual response from the developers of Gimp
is that there is little demand for CMYK. But the facts are that those
of us who work in print media don't use Gimp very much precisely
because it won't deal in CMYK. So it becomes a self-fulfilling
prophecy.

When Gimp is used on images intended for print then another
program such as Scribus or ImageMagick is used after the Gimp
work is complete to do the conversion.

Inkscape, an Illustrator-like product also lacks the internal CMYK
model. Its base output is svg, which is inherently RGB. But it is
making moves toward CMYK output. Colors can be defined in
(limited) CMYK terms. The problem with RGB to CMYK output is the
difference between the gamuts of the two models. So it is possible
in Inkscape to define a color that falls in the CMYK gamut.

 Bitmap images such as photos are a different matter.   Krita will
use the CMYK model and also import specific "raw" formats for
various cameras.  So it has potential for being both a frontend
and/or a backend to Gimp in a workflow without resorting to
plugins etc. The feature set of Krita is nowhere near as complete
as that of Gimp, so it is not a full replacement.  And it is limited to
machines that have the KDE software available. I use it on my
Slackware 13.0 Linux box even though I use XFCE instead of KDE 4
for my user interface.
--
John Culleton
Able Indexers and Typesetters