On 2010-06-25 02:54, Chris Mohler wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 6:16 AM, Philip Rhoades<>  wrote:
>> Confirmation of what is going on from the gurus would be appreciated!
> It was as I guessed - the scans are in grayscale mode but the contents
> are essentially a 1-bit image.
> Open a scan, do image->mode->bitmap, choose 1-bit palette.

I had to do:

> Then
> rotate and save - the file size will be comparable to the original.

OK, so now the next question is:  If the original is recognised by
"identify" as a 1 bit per pixel image, why doesn't Gimp keep it that way
when opening the file?  At 300dpi there is no real issue with "jaggy"
edges - is it just a judgement call that a conversion to grey scale is
likely to give the best result for most situations and the file size is
a secondary consideration?

Philip Rhoades

GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW      2001