Greg A. wrote:

> I think I found opacity in the toolbar but I
> change it and there's no difference.

Opacity is not in the toolbar; it's in the layers dialog, accessible by
the keyboard shortcut CTRL+L, or by selecting the "layers" item in the
through the windows "Dockable dialogs" menu item in the menu bar of an
image, or an empty composition window.

If you can manage to  manipulate layer visibility, opacity is the slider
above that. In Chapter 14 of the on-line documentation (at
<http://docs.gimp.org/2.6/en/gimp-dialogs-structure.html#gimp-layer-dialog>,
figure 14.1 shows where the "opacity" slider is located; the label is
third from the top, below "layers" and "Mode".

ns