The X11 version of GIMP for OSX (the usual one, which you can download
from the site you mentioned), doesn't support drag and dropping images
onto it as far as I know.

The problem you are talking about looks like the X11 application got
into full screen mode. Try pressing command+alt+a when it does it
again to quit the fullscreen mode.