On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 6:05 AM, Marc Carson <m...@marccarson.com> wrote:
> I've been scanning inks into GIMP, then moving them over to Inkscape for
> tracing to make the lines smoother. Is there a way to do this in GIMP alone?
> I don't mean vector tracing, just getting rid of the smaller abnormalities
> or fuzziness around my inked lines. I already scan at 600 dpi.
> Here's an example:
> http://www.friendlyskies.net/projects/comics/before-after.png
> Thanks!

Yes, you may want a combination of
1. Despeckle (to eliminate specks)
2. GMIC Anisotropic Smoothing (GMIC plugin:    gmic.sf.net)
    with a relatively large radius, large tensor-smoothing value, and
anisotropy = 1.0. Experiment with different values of 'sharpness' --
you may need to reduce it below the default 0.70 to get as much
smoothing as you want.

Another solution:
If you are running linux, you will probably have the tools to make a
batch-processing script or Python GIMP plugin that uses PoTrace
(commandline tool;same algorithym as is integrated into Inkscape).
Potrace has options to output a PGM (ie a greyscale raster, rather
than a vector -- like SVG etc) to do tracing/smoothing.
This could be the fastest and most reliable, high quality option, once
you have worked out the options appropriate for your work.

The most important options for Potrace would probably be

--alphamax <N> #how smooth the output is. 0..1.43, default 1.0.
--blacklevel <N> #the black/white threshold -- in the range 0..1.
--turdsize <N> #this discards junk pixels -- pixel islands of N size
--pgm  #set output format to PGM raster, or..
--svg   #you could get an SVG -- if you wanted a larger output than input.
--width <N>
--height <N> # set output dimensions

Hope one of those suggestions help. :)