--------snip----------
> Can someone help? Is there an easier way to comply? Or, am I reading the
> wrong license terms?

OK I've read your mail and the other responses so far.

If I understand it you are writing a book and you want to distribute the GIMP
program
with it (probably on CD).

I am not a lawyer but what is wrong with just supplying the source archives
(.tar.gz,
.bz, etc) on the same CD. As far as I can see this would alleviate your need to
maintain a web server to provide the source code. You would need to include the
source archive for each version of GIMP included on the CD (Windows, BSD, Mac,
Linux,
QNX, etc) as well as source for any other GPL programs you include. These
archives
are available wherever it is that YOU get the programs from. (Assuming the
sites are
in compliance w/ the GPL). The GPL also requires the use of the "COPYING" file,
you
may want to include this in the root directory of the CD/DVD

My understanding is that, while the GPL does stipulate making the source code
available, there is some leeway in how you make it available. I believe you
could
even publish the actual code in your book if you desired,and be in compliance
with
the license. (Of course this would probably require more pages than your whole
book)

If you are distributing tutorial files and examples then you need to comply
with the
associated licenses for those files as well (CC, Artistic, BSD, etc)

If I am wrong about any of this then I am sure a more knowledgeable source than
will jump in and correct me.

see ya
dh