Dillon wrote:
> Is that really a "must" ?  It turns out I was missing variable declarations,
> but I have never provided initial values when declaring variables in a let
> block, and that doesn't seem to cause issues.

Yes, it is a must unless you are using GIMP 2.4 or earlier. The TinyScheme
component of GIMP more closely follows the Scheme standard. The standard
requires variables in a lot block to have an initial value, and all
variables must be declared before first use.

You should take a look at the Script-Fu migration guide at
http://www.gimp.org/docs/script-fu-update.html and my notes at
http://www.ve3syb.ca/wiki/doku.php?id=software:sf:updating-scripts (which
cover most of the same points).

> I think that this line is not returning the number of layers as we're
> expecting.  I tried using gimp-message to write the number of layers out to
> the console, but it generates another batch execution error.
> (gimp-message "The current file has the following number of layers: ")
>     (gimp-message num-layers)

The problem with the above is you are passing an integer to gimp-message
instead of passing a string. You need to wrap num-layers in a call to

You can combine the two calls to gimp-message so the number of layers
appears in the message by doing the following:

     "The current file has the following number of layers: "
     (number->string num-layers)))