On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 11:39 PM, Andrew <and...@alangdondavies.es> wrote:
> On 07/25/2010 03:49 AM, Byram wrote:
> I have an old 7 mp image that I'm trying to increase to around 10MP.  I've
> read it's best to increase by 10%, then unsharpen, and repeat process until
> you get to the desired result.
> I unsharpened with radius at 5, threshold 15, and amount .5.
> When I finished the process.  I viewed the image at 100% and it was
> terrible.
> Any recommendations regarding the process or the unsharpened mask settings?
> Thanks.

I have tried Resynthesizer 'smart enlarge' and found it lacking.
GMIC 'smart resize' is much, much better.. I am VERY happy with it.

(smart resize is found in Enhancement subsection in GMIC plugin)

Just work out the percentage difference between the old size and new
size (in this case i suspect 3648 / 3056 == 119%.. or ) and input that
in the width and height fields (including the % sign)
I recommend anisotropy 1.0. Smoothing should be >= the scaling ratio
(so, >= 1.19 in this example). Sharpness is something you will just
need to experiment with to get the kind of results you want: 12 is a
good starting point IMO)

Note that it is fairly slow for large images, so try it on a small
crop first. :)