> To: gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
> From: for...@gimpusers.com
> Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 04:29:59 +0200
> Subject: [Gimp-user] bmp files
>
> I have run into a problem with Gimp. I had scanned a lot of photos using a
> windows based program. I just discovered that I cannot open any of them in
> Gimp. I get an error message that "this is not a valid bmp file". Yet I can
> open and view them in other programs such as Fspot and g thumbs. Has anyone an
> explanation. I had hoped to touch up these photos. These were my good photos
> and spent hours scanning them some years ago. Now I am fearing that they are
> no good.

get something like imagemagick and use utilities like identify or
convert and examine metadata for clues or just try to convert formats
and see what happens. This should tell you more completely
what state the files are in and you can figure out how to proceed
then. Probably easiest thing to do is just convert them losslessly
into another format, maybe even just convert bmp to bmp if
they are in a "bmp" format other utilities can read,