Nick C. wrote:

> why do I have to get help every time I try to do
> something in this program? It seems to me that it is one of the most
> unfriendly and unintuitive command layouts I've ever encountered.

My history is similar to yours, except that I've got more experience
with GIMP than you claim. I, too, found the UI to be complex, and
difficult to use and understand. What made the program much more useful
for me was getting a copy of Akkana Peck's book, Beginning Gimp / From
Novice to Professional, published by APress. About USD 50, but if you're
serious about learning GIMP, it's hard to think of a better way to spend
the money.