Hi,

Gimp 2.6.6 on Ubuntu 8.04 Linux.  Minimum 2GB of memory.  Used to editing (but
not printing) images to 200 MB.

I am running into some strangeness that I don't know is a an error in my
actions, a general workflow problem, or a bug (or feature) in Gimp.

Starting with a (color) JPEG image from a digital camera.  Looks fine on
screen,
but when I try to print it, the printer chokes (which is extremely unusual for
this printer, but does happen now and then; it is a big Kyocera b/w laser with
maximum memory and maximum hard drive) -- after several minutes of processing
still nothing coming out.  OKAY that is NOT the problem -- I can understand
that
the image may be too large and/or the color to b/w conversion on the printer is
not efficient on that printer.

So, I created a new image by doing the following.

Select All in original image.
Copy
File, Create, From Clipboard

Creates a new image that looks like the previous.
I change the size (scale) to something more suitable for printing.

AT THIS POINT I HAVE **NOT** SAVED THIS NEWLY CREATED IMAGE.  THAT IS IMPORTANT.

When I HOVER OVER AND look in the bottom status bar of the window containing
the
newly created image, it says "Pasted Layer" and gives a size in MB, about 20
MB.
  I say to myself "Self, that does not look right".  I do Flatten Image, I do
Merge Layers, etc.  The "Pasted Layer" text remains, but the size keeps
increasing in roughly 20 MB jumps.  When I look in the layer dialog, it only
shows one layer.  However, when I click the eyeball the picture disappears and
get a gray checkerboard, so there is something more present than just that one
layer.

(I _have_ double-clicked both on and off the image (I had to make the window
larger first to click off the image) to try to anchor the layer or finalize the
pasting or whatever you want to call it.  However, if that did anything, it
increased the above stated MB size.)

When I try to print this (still NOT saved) image, I can't get it to print.  I
even have trouble getting the print dialog to appear sometimes.  Something is
strange.

So, to get a SaveAs dialog, I start to "Close" the image (I know, that is a
strange way to do it) and select Save, getting the SaveAs dialog.  I save it to
.jpg and accept the current defaults.  Thus it is now closed and has an actual
image name.

I reopen the image.  Now when I HOVER OVER AND look in the bottom status bar of
the window containing the image, it now says "Background" and has a 3.9 MB size
(completely reasonable).  Everything is normal.  It prints perfectly fine and
quickly.

====

So, why do I have to save the image to a file...
- before I can print it?
- before the "Pasted Layer" text goes away (and becomes "Background")?
- before the size is stated more reasonably

Is this a problem with my (fairly elderly) printer vs Gimp's native
while-in-editing file format?

Am I doing something wrong?

It is no big deal to save and close the image to a file and then re-open it in
order to print.  It is not going to ruin my day.  But, it seems very strange to
have to do that (and has not been necessary in some other image editing
programs
I have used), thus my query.

Jay