On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 2:13 AM, bobdobbs <for...@gimpusers.com> wrote:
> It looks like the name of the font that gimp displays in the font text
> settings pane doesn't corrospond to the filename of the actual font, so the
> solution isn't as simple as navigating to my main font directory and grepping
> for it.

I had a similar problem - I had a directory containing tons of fonts
that were all very badly named.  I wrote this snippet to rename the
files based on the actual font name (family_style.ttf) so I could find
them and install as needed:
http://pastebin.com/GB6PKBim

BE WARNED: this changes the file names *in place* - there is
absolutely no safety net.  You might consider copying your font dir to
a temporary location and then running the script there instead.  For
me it worked well - that whole directory is named correctly now, but I
make no guarantees (may kick puppies, eat kittens, etc. ;)  Also it
only will do TTF files, and probably only works on linux.  You need
python-imaging and python-magic as well.

Another possibility would be to modify this script to output the
filename and the font name on the same line - that way you could pipe
that through grep and see which file matches which font.

HTH,
Chris