Never mind.  I got it!

I'd first tried Python 2.7 (newest version, gotta be good) only to discover
that GIMP 2.6.11 only supports Python 2.5 and 2.6.  So I tried Python 2.6.
That's what wouldn't let either of the plug-ins even start.  Finally backed
down to Python 2.5.4 and uninstalled and reinstalled everything.  ArcLayer
works perfectly!  I haven't tried WrapMap yet, but I will.

As far as wrapping the image around a curve, I appreciate your suggesting these
two plug-ins to get the job done.  I still have some tweaking to do but I
expected that once I could see how the wrapped image looked.

Thank you both.

Yar (via