On 12/04/2010 08:31 PM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> Edit → Preferences → View → Screen resolution → Calibrate… → I measured on
> the screen and got 424 mm horisontally and 185,5 mm vertically. The result
> was a resolution of 95.849×95.849 dpi. Restarted GIMP, created a new image
> of 100×100 mm, viewed it at 100% zoom but it was still 75×75 mm, just like
> before I calibrated. Does the screen resolution thing work at all? I
> experimented with other settings too, but still a 100×100 mm image was
> 75×75 mm, no matter what values I used.
>
> The quick workaround for my screen is to view at 133% zoom, but that
> doesn't feel right…
>
> Tested this at 2 different computers with the same lack of results:
> Ubuntu 9.10, GIMP 2.6.8
> Ubuntu 10.10, GIMP 2.6.10
>
> Am I supposed to restart Ubuntu for these settings to take place?

You are looking at the wrong place; the screen resolution is one thing,
but the DPI used to compute thje size of an image in pixels when you
give a dimension in inches is part of the "Advanced options" in the "new
image" dialog. Its default can be set in teh general preferences in the
"default new image" section.