On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 3:51 PM, Lambertus <for...@gimpusers.com> wrote:
>>Hello David and thank you for the quick reply!
>>Now, using the word "Canvas" rather than "Drawable area" makes things a lot
>>more sane immediately, and your
>>explanation is accurate and acceptable.
> Maybe this is the same situation I have.
> I have a picture (picture 1).
> I expand the size of the canvas to make room to copy another picture beside
> the original (picture 2).
> Picture 2 is copied from an open GIMP image and pasted into the enlarged
> canvas area of picture 1.
> Picture 2 is invisible if it dragged outside the bounds of picture 1 into an
> open area of the canvas.
> I can't figure out why that would be a useful design characteristic and how
> to change the situation to make the imported pictures visible on the expanded
> canvas.
You don't want the image dimensions to change constantly, right? that
would FUBAR your export consistency, which is pretty important for
aligning features (eg in a website layout). That's why.

As for a solution, positioning the layer where you want and using 'fit
canvas to layers' should solve it. Alternatively you can directly
resize the image canvas.