On 12/16/2010 06:21 AM, Lambertus wrote:
>> Hello David and thank you for the quick reply!
>> Now, using the word "Canvas" rather than "Drawable area" makes things a lot
>> more sane immediately, and your
>> explanation is accurate and acceptable.
> Maybe this is the same situation I have.
> I have a picture (picture 1).
> I expand the size of the canvas to make room to copy another picture beside
> the original (picture 2).
> Picture 2 is copied from an open GIMP image and pasted into the enlarged
> canvas area of picture 1.
> Picture 2 is invisible if it dragged outside the bounds of picture 1 into an
> open area of the canvas.
> I can't figure out why that would be a useful design characteristic and how
> to change the situation to make the imported pictures visible on the expanded
> canvas.
> Probably something simple.

Because what you have at that point is  a floating selection, not a
layer, and what Gimp is showing you is what you get if you anchor that
selection *to your active layer*. Do this quick experiment: make a
picture with two layers visible side by side: select one layer and paste
something else: if you move the pasted selection it won't affect the
other layer.