Peter Keller wrote:
> What I'd like to be able to do is something like georeferencing images
> in a GIS.  That is, having a base image I refer to, create a series of
> points on the base and another image of a different scale that
> correspond to the same places, and the new image will be adjusted to
> match.  Is there a way to do this with GIMP?

Here's how I'd do it:

1) Start with the base image in GIMP.

2) Add a new transparent layer to hold the reference points, but do not
merge the reference points into the base image.

3) Add the new image as a new layer.

4) Use the Free selection tool to select points which match the
reference points on the layer added in step 2.

5) Cut the selection, and paste it into a new layer.

6) Subdivide the selection in the new layer into quadrangles.

7) Select each quadrangle in layer 6, cut it, and create a new layer.

8) Use the perspective tool to adjust the layer of each quadrangle so
that the points at the corner match the corresponding reference point in
the layer 2.

9) Merge each the layer of each quadrangle into [a copy of] the base image.

ns