On 12/26/2010 07:55 PM, Eric P wrote:
> GIMPers,
>
> Is there a way to create a gradient (black->white) based off a closed lasso
> selection?  So the resulting gradient would
> start black along the edge of the selection and expand out to white in all
> directions away from the selection.
>
> My end goal is to create a quick mask that I can blur to create a background
> with an exaggerated out of focus look.
>
> Thanks for reading (hope that all made sense)!
> Eric

That's one of the uses of the WrapMap filter I wrote:

http://registry.gimp.org/node/24754
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-wrapmap/

Added bonus: you can run WrapMap to create the wrapped gradient in the
layer mask. And if you use the "curves" dialog/tool on the mask you can
change the linear gradient to something else and thus control finely how
the blur appears.