GIMP-GAP plugin does what you want.

1. Convert your text into a GAP animation,
2. Convert your background into a gap animation (duplicate that single
frame 69 or however many times -- you can do the whole thing in a few
clicks using Video->Duplicate frames)
3. Use GAP's navigator to move to the first frame of both animations
(they must both be open in GIMP)
3. Use Video->Move Path, on the 'background' animation. Set the 'from frame' parameters to cover the entire number of frames and
select the text image as source.
Depending on whether the dimensions of your text animation match the
background, you may also want to adjust the X and Y offsets.

For animations of any complexity, I recommend you use GIMP-GAP. The
facilities built in to GIMP are really quite basic.