>>ok now heres the deal .. i do knw a tediously long and tiring way to fix this
>>but i was hoping there would be an easier way

>>i have a background image around with i want to add an animated flaming text
>>and a video which i converted to frames already. I have about 70 frames that
>>i want to add, so i made a animated text that lasts 70 frames too... i just
>>thought it was the logical thing to do ...

>>now the way i know around it is to actually manually copy and paste each
>>layer of the xcf i got from saving the animated text onto the each layer in a
>>new xcf with the main background.. but for 70 odd frames that gonna be a
>>pain. and i was thinking it would probably work with the frames i got from
>>the video as well...

>>so is there an easier way out .. im sure there is ... coz i opened the text
>>xcf using open as layers... but dont knw how to merge the whole thing.

>>thanks in advance

>One way perhaps but not Gimp.

>You can combine pairs of images with Imagemagick. (does not have to be .png
>but does need to be a format that supports transparency)
>For automating the process it makes sense to rename the sets of images.

>Imagmagick is command line so in a console this command works

>convert 10001.png 20001.png -compose dissolve -composite new01.png

>The image in second place (20001.png) overlays the first image so second has
>to contain transparency.
>I can't see anyway around this, you can use a different command to 'blend' but
>this alters colours.
>In your case maybe if the 'flames' have a central transparent area allowing
>the underlying 'text' to show.

>If using windows, then you can automate with a batch file along the lines of:

>FOR /L %%G IN (1,1,n) DO convert "1000"%%G.gif "2000"%%G.gif -compose dissolve
>-composite new%%G.gif

>where n is the no of frames.
>Do yourself a favour here and make a project folder containing all the images
>and the <something>.bat.
>Change to that folder and run the batch file from there. Same applies using a
>single command.

>That gets you a set of combined frames, open "As Layers" in Gimp and save as a
>new animated .gif.

>This might get you started, plenty of 'ifs-and-buts' though.

hey cool... thanks for that ... ill try that out soon enough ... anyways i just
had one more doubt... may seem a lil off topic from this one though

so i have this other .gif file that i am kinda trying to model my present pic
on. so i just tried opening .gif file using "open with layers"... in the layers
toolbox its something in this format

xxx.gif- Frame 123 (combine)

but when i open any other gif file like that .... it reads

xxx.gif -Frame 123 (replace)

now i knw that if i can get it to open as "combine"instead of replace then i
will be able to complete this particular assignment... coz although this other
gif might have been created on some other software... it still wud be neat to
knw how i cud do this on GIMP....

hope im making sense.... and thanks again !!!! xD

rainman400 (via gimpusers.com)