I've had the same problem when I try and create or edit .tif files greater than
about 400mb. Because gimp keeps undo files etc, the amount of file size gets
near 1gb and that causes the same error messages as below.

-----Original Message-----
From: gimp-user-boun...@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
[mailto:gimp-user-boun...@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Owen
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 4:51 PM
To: MM
Cc: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] JPEG Files

On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 11:17:11 -0800 (PST)
MM <manfus...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am using the 2.6.11 version
> I normally make panoramas with Autopano, and the rendered file is
> often more than 30Mb.
> This time it was very close to 49Mb and I am receiving the following
> error message
> “Glib-ERROR”:gmem.c137:failed to allocate 1638bytes aborting……..
> Then the following message appear (Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime
> Library) This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it
> in an unusual way. Please contact the application’s support team for
> more information My computer is an ASUS laptop with Windows 7, Intel
> i7 processor, ATI Graphic Card HD5730 & 4G of RAM

Mmmm, interesting, did you upgrade to 2.6.11 from an older version?

I am not familiar with Windows, but as I understand it you need to
include the gtk packages as well and all I can ask is if you updated
that as well.

Perhaps remove gimp support packages in their entirity, and then
download the current support packages.

Owen