The more I work in Gimp, the more I realise that this is something that needs to be looked at by the developers, as it is not very intuitive.

Again, I've found how the focus of the image being rotated / scaled interferes with the rest of the working area. For example, if I set a particular layer's opacity to 20% and the layer is at the bottom of all other layers, why, then, does the opacity become 100% and the layer suddenly appear on top of all other layers?

This makes it very difficult to work efficiently.

Is there a way to fix this / work around it?