Hmm... the 45 degree angle part is simple enough, if that is what you really
mean.  However, when you start talking about a "book" at a 45 degree angle, it
sounds maybe like what you want is to make it look as if it is being "viewed"
from a 45 degree angle? ... not just rotated?  ... with some sort of 3d look to
it?  If that is the case, you might want filters>map>map object and map the
thing to a box, then modify the settings so that you have a tall, thin box,
standing on end with the picture on one face of it, sort of like a software box
for a software ad.

...is that correct?

...something like this?

http://tutorialblog.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/final1.jpg