On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 05:12:22PM -0500, Frank McCormick wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 13:58:27 -0800
> Carol Spears <ca...@gimp.org> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 04:48:16PM -0500, Frank McCormick wrote:
> > >
> > > I am running GIMP 2.6.10 under Ubuntu Maverick...and lately
> > > have been having an intermittent problem with the file
> > > selector.
> > > It pops up seemingly locked-up so I can't change directories
> > > or disks, matter of fact can't do anything but close it.
> > > Anybody experienced anything like this?
> > >
> > does this happen with the file selector from <Image>/File/Open or
> > from the file selectors that are part of plugin dialogs?
>
>   The <image>/File/Open. I can still drag an image in from Nautilus
> when it happens.

much more attention perhaps is being spent on drag-and-drop and working
between applications than actual functionality.  this more than likely
is not a problem of GIMP's but of gtk+.

http://www.gimpedimenta.org/resources/fu/gimp-file-load.shtml is perhaps
not pertainent to this discussion, but dragging and dropping from gimp-1.2
was some of the worst few seconds that i ever had with that version.

that being said, this new file selector is kind of stupid and perhaps trying
to do too much:

http://bugzilla-attachments.gnome.org/attachment.cgi?id=165139

perhaps it is unfair to have a text file with the filename of "Desktop" --
i am on linux, however and i have that there and for whatever reason want
that file to be there.

so, i am after all of this, suggesting that the fileselector is confused
while trying to make too many operating systems happy.  also, rendering a
widget which is 900+x800+ pixels even without file type expanded is not
what i would have expected given what i was told back in the early 2000's
to be a goal of the reasons to rewrite it.

i am curious to know if there will be a solution for this -- perhaps not for
gtk2.  i will say this about the widgets -- gimp-2.0 uses gtk+-2.2n with a
more than reasonable amount of success 6 or 7 years later....

carol