* Jeremy Nell <jeremyn...@gmail.com> [02-17-11 12:30]:
> Differing names because of lowercase and uppercase variation?
>
> Ultimately, it doesn't matter, then?
>

> On 17/02/2011 19:13, Chris Mohler wrote:
>
>     On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 11:07 AM, Jeremy Nell <jeremyn...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>         Is there a difference between "tif" and "TIF" (and even "tiff")?
>
>     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tagged_Image_File_Format
>

>         I just saved the same file as both "tif" and "TIF" and thought that,
> if
>         they were the same format, GIMP would correct the case and see them as
>         the same file, but this didn't happen (it didn't overwrite the file).
>
>     You have saved two TIFF files with differing names.

You must be using windows which is not case sensitive but linux where gimp
originated is.  picture.tif \= Picture.TIF \= Picture.tif

And linux discerns file type by an internal file flag rather than the
extension so *.tiff, *.tif, *.TIF, and *.jpg *could* all be the same png
file type :^)

--
(paka)Patrick Shanahan      Plainfield, Indiana, USA     HOG # US1244711
http://wahoo.no-ip.org      Photo Album: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2