On 03/07/2011 08:31 PM, gerard82 wrote:
> I use Gentoo Linux.
> I installed Gimp-2.7.2 in /opt.
> It runs well to some extent.
> I also have Gimp-2.6.11 installed in /usr.
> I copied /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/gutenprint to /opt/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins.
> It shows up in File>Print with gutenprint but I get an error:
> Couldn't execute "gutenprint" because it uses an obsolete version of the
> plug-in protocol.
> Where can I find info about this whole protocol thing?
> I also get error messages from scripts which indicated that regular
> expressions in script-fu have changed.
> Gerard.

You have to recompile all the plug-ins that you want to use with the new
version of gimp. You can't just copy them. I do not use Gutenprint, but
usually I download the sources of the plug-ins and compile and install
them with
gimptool --install <plug-in.c>
Note that this may overwrite files in your home gimp plug-ins or the
system wide gimp plug-ins directory, so check this first.
Be sure to use the gimptool program that came with the version of GIMP
that you want the plug-in to work with.

Greetings,
Petar