> If there is a way to do this? Or another way to get the same result?

The best thing I know to do is to work in small chunks whenever
possible. You can open up .xcf files withIn another .xcf, using "open
as layers." Perhaps for the final layout you can bear though it?

The open as layers feature will keep the layers of the smaller .xcf
files accessible from your final image. However, I think it will
consume less memory if you export a "flattened" image - meaning you
won't have access to the layers.

Either way you do it, get yourself a nice computer. ;)

Best of luck,

-Stefan Maerz