On Friday, May 13, 2011 05:13:47 pm Kevin Cozens wrote:
> John Culleton wrote:
> > 1. Do python scripts go into the same folder as .scm scripts? If not,
> > where? I find the .scm scripts in
> Script-Fu scripts you want to add to your installation of GIMP should be
> placed in ~/.gimp-2.6/scripts. For all other add-on plug-ins/scripts you
> need to put them in ~/.gimp-2.6/plug-ins and they should be marked as
> executable. Script-Fu scripts do not need to be marked as executable.
> NOTE: If you are using the development version of GIMP the directory is
> ~/.gimp-2.7
> > 2. I don't know either language but have programmed in COBOL and Tcl/Tk
> > with side excursions into Perl, C and so on.  Given this background
> > which will the easiest to master for my first plug-in?
> >
> > The task I have in mind is "gel" text as described in "The Artist's
> > to Gimp Effects" on page 268ff.
> You can certainly use either language to save yourself a lot of manual
> steps. If you want other people to use the script then Script-Fu will
> you the widest possible audience for it as Script-Fu scripts can be used
> with every GIMP install. If you are creating a script for your own use,
> can use either language.
> If you are mainly used to writing programs in a procedural language you
> might want to use Script-Fu/Scheme. GIMP also comes with about 100
> Script-Fu scripts that you can examine as you learn how to write your own
> Script-Fu script(s). If you go the Script-Fu route, I would also suggest
> you get a copy of the R5RS (or the two main parts of the R6RS) Scheme
> standard documents and you format the Scheme code like you would other
> programming languages. This means no putting all closing ) on one line.
> makes it easier to see the syntax and structure of Scheme while you are
> learning.
> On the other hand, if you want to create a script to save you some work
> with a language that would be more generally useful for other things
> outside of GIMP, you would be better off with Python. It is mainly an
> object oriented programming language but you can still use it for
> procedural programming. Python scripts for GIMP may make some use of OOP
> features and there may not be as many scripts with GIMP for you to look
> at.
> You can always get help on the #gimp-user IRC channel or this mailing
> whichever choice you make.

I have spent some hours analyzing the question further. We have plenty of
examples of script-fu and plenty of tutorials for Python. We also have a
whole fistful of plug-ins written in a compiler language. Is this C?

In my case the program itself is purely linear, 37 steps taken in a certain
order. To this we can add at the front end a step or steps of collecting
information from the user, via a screen with labels and input fields. But
the whole process is straight line with no conditionals or branches. In
this situation object oriantation woud seem to be irrelevant. It is all a
straight line of step one followed by step two.

I have some early kindergarten level questions:

1. In the script-fu examples: functions or modules or whatever within Gimp
itself are called by certain names and fed certain values. Do these
identical names work in Python also? I see no centralized list of functions
by name.

2. Does it really matter to Gimp in what language the script or plug-ins
are written? For example could one write a plug-in using C or even Tcl-Tk
so long as the right calls were made? Or must one use a special language-
specific interface package?

In short before I go further I need ot know more about the gimp--plugin
or script interface. I get that the plug in muist be registered with
gimp. But is that registration process  also just another call to a
module written in C?

John Culleton