On 05/24/2011 11:06 PM, Stefan Maerz wrote:

>> So, my question is how could I achieve the desired result for this and
>> such images?
>> How would do you work out similar or even more advanced cases?
>>

> Hi Sophoklis,
>
> There are a few good methods to use.
>
> For cutting out a logo, sometimes using Colors>Color to Alpha with the
> background color selected does the job well.
>
> For this I would recommend using the Eraser tool, and tracing the
> outline of the server. Square objects are pretty simple to do - use the
> shift button to drag your Eraser tool from point A to point B.
>
> -Stefan Maerz

Another option is painting on a layer mask - it is like the eraser tool,
but much more convenient to rework and correct. But it is almost
impossible to achieve crisp edges this way. For hard and crisp edges it
may be better to use the pen tool and trace the contour of the object
with it creating a path, that you can edit and later turn into selection.
Have in mind that "color to alpha" removes the selected color from the
whole image (except if you already have a selection).

Greetings,
Peter