On Mon, 2011-06-20 at 09:30 +1000, Owen wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 10:36:34 -0400
> John Culleton <j...@wexfordpress.com> wrote:
>
> > The excellent book by Michael J Hammel "The Artist's Guide to Gimp
> > Effects"

Thanks for the kudos.

> > The bad news is his list has 37 steps. And his book was written in
> > the days of Gimp 2.2, looking forward to 2.4.

The 2nd edition for 2.8 is expected to be out in early 2012.  I'm trying
to coincide the update with the 2.8 release so the book is relevant.
I'm almost done with updating all the text, including quite few new
tutorials.  I've been putting off making new screenshots to give the
developers as much time as possible for UI updates.  But I'll be
starting in on those very soon.

> Are you sure that File->Create->Logos->Chrome wont do what you are
> looking for?

Kind of.  But understanding how to do it manually allows you the
flexibility of making your own flavor of the effect.  That's the purpose
of all the tutorials in the book - to teach technique without falling
back on too many pre-built effects.
--
Michael J. Hammel <mjham...@graphics-muse.org>