I think the poster was not asking about facts (is GIMP safe?),
but about certifications (is GIMP certified as safe?).

I don't think it is possible to reassure him about this. In fact,
the GPL has a "NO WARRANTY" clause.

If he/his customer wants something certified, I think he has to pay
for the certification - which does not imply that the software
is actually safe (there is no a priori way to tell this), but only
that it has passed some tests.

By the way...

> >     It is an application that receives
> services from the OS ?

I don't know of any program that does not receive services from the OS.
At the bare minimum, memory management (virtual memory) and process
management (process startup and scheduling, execution) are up to the OS
in all cases. I don't know how this question should be interpreted.

--Stefano