Also, there's one other small detail:

Flatten image merges everything into the background layer which has
subtly different properties than the others layers.

Merge visible layers merges layers but not as a background image.

This is especially useful for creating transparencies.  When you go to
select the color you wish to delete, if you are selecting from a
background layer, when you delete, it will become your selected background
colour.  If you select from another layer, when you delete, the space
remaining is transparent.

So when I create transparent images, I always use "merge visible layers"
rather than "flatten image".

Amy

On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, Phyllis Davis wrote:

> Stephan -
>
> The difference between flatten image and merge all visible layers is this:
>
> - Flatten image merges all visible layers to the bottommost displayed layer
> and discards hidden layers.
>
> - Merge all visible layers merges the visible layers to the bottommost
> displayed layer and preserves the hidden layers.
>
> Phyllis Davis
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--Amy Abascal
"I don't suffer from insanity.  I enjoy *every* minute of it!"

 http://www.iconoclast.net