Zach--and others offended.
I have few resources available firsthand and have seen no discussion
anywhere on this topic.  I looked around on the web and saw no place
where I might find an opinion.  I have used GIMP and Linux for 18
months, but have no local Linux/UNIX guru to provide me with
sustenance.  Whose opinion do I solicit if not the folks who have
provided useful and helpful info in the past?...and I do intend to use
Linux nearly exclusively for the GIMP.  If you can point me to a "more
appropriate venue" I will be happy to look there, but I certainly
haven't located it.
Jim Clark