On Fri, 22 Oct 1999, James Knowles wrote:

> This is an alternative, along with a JPEG.  The compression should take
> the file size down to nothing. I have no idea whether browsers would
> effectively deal with this. I have seen something similar with a wide
> but not very tall image that produced a verticle tiling effect.

Honestly, if you're going to do this, I'd recommend using a PNG.  The file
compression is *much* better than GIF or JPG.  You can toss in some
browser detection code to make sure the browser supports PNG and if it
doesn't give them the GIF or JPG instead.  The majority of your viewers
will get served the PNG.

--Amy Abascal
"A penny for your thoughts, a nickel for your neck!!"