> I'm interested in using The Gimp for processing astronomy photos taken
> with a CCD camera. Basically this involves taking a series faint images,
> aligning them (the object of interest will have moved slightly from
> image to image) and then combining them to enhance the detail of the
> faint object.
> If anyone has any suggestions on how to do this, scripts or tutorials
> that may help, please let me know.

I'm not terribly experienced with the GIMP, but here's something off the
top of my head:

I'm assuming that you can use the various fuzzy selection tools to
select background noise (I assume that you don't have 100% black
"space"), and make them transparent. I presume this would allow for
easier alignment. I also assume that one could decrease the opacity for
something like this.

For combining images, I assume that one could combine the images
additively (is that a word?:)

Others with more experience can give real advice. I just think it's a
very interesting application of the GIMP.

Good luck,