> Hi,
>
> What is the best way to optimize/compress an image for a web page?
>
> I want to shrink the file size with out losing too much of the image
> size.

Well, that often depends on what kind of image it is.

First, only me who's gotten the impression that png often creates much
heavier images than gif does? Or do I just use them the wrong way?
Someone, please inform.

Otherwise...
If it's a photo or something you're working with: Shrink it if you can.
Use thumbnails. And then don't use big thumbnails, they kinda loose their
purpose. Then save it, try out jpeg compression levels to see what fits.
Don't compress to hard, but 6-8 is often ok...
_Never_ use gifs for photos, they tend to get very big rapidly.

If it's a small image, gradient or something computer-drawn, unfiformly
colored...use gifs (or png's which people seem to love...) You've got to
convert the image to indexed first to use gifs. To get a nice adapted
palette, you need to merge all the layers first. Then, if you plan to use
transperency, a nice tip is to select the background _before_ you index
the image, thus being able to use..umm...dithering, and still you can
nicely cut away the background.

Hope it helped some...you'll sometimes end up with tricky choices...do
your best. And always remember just to add WIDTH and HEIGHT to the IMG
tag, so that the page loads nicely, whatever the size of an image.

/Carl-Johan Sveningsson - sleepy

"A man may sometimes be forgiven
 the kiss to which he is not entitled,
 but never the kiss he has not