My problem, as near as I can tell, is that when I go to compile the CVS
version of gimp it's finding the wrong GTK libraries.

I'm using the Debian distribution of Linux and have installed the last
stable version of gimp, glib, and gtk from debian's own packages.  But
with everyone talking about the CVS version I thought I'd give it a try.

So I followed the directions at (
which were very helpful ).  Except when I got to compiling gimp it tells

checking for GTK - version >= 1.2.1... no
*** Could not run GTK test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log
for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means GTK was incorrectly
*** or that you have moved GTK since it was installed. In the latter case,
*** may want to edit the gtk-config script: /unstable/bin/gtk-config
configure: error: Test for GTK failed. See the file 'INSTALL' for help.

I would like to beable to use both the stable and CVS versions if that's
possible.  But after trying several different config changes, includeing
altering and gtk-config, I was unable to
get it to find the right libraries.

Unfortunatley the list archives revealed nothing of value.  And I was
hopeing someone could help me out.

Thank You,