No, no, I'm DONE working on the image and I want to save it in a
web-browser-viewable format. Perhaps I shouldn't have used the term
"mask"; I did a selection-to-channel, then blurred the channel. When
viewing with both the original, single layer AND the mask/channel, it
looks I want to export it as a PNG. When I do, it only exports
the layer without applying the channel.

I must be missing something basic?